Adding a three-state workflow to a content type in SharePoint
Learn what the benefits are of adding workflows to content types instead of document libraries in SharePoint and how you can add a three-state workflow to a content type in WSS 3.0.
A content type in SharePoint can be seen as a document type in document management.
The main benefit of using content types in SharePoint is that content types enable you to store different types of documents in one document library.
In a previous article I showed you how to add a three-state workflow to a document library, but you can also add workflows to content types.
Why add a workflow to a content type?
Content types allow you to have a more granular and flexible way of running workflows on documents compared to document libraries.
When you add a workflow to a document library, all of the documents stored in that document library will follow that workflow. On the other hand, when you add a workflow to a content type, only documents based on that content type will follow that workflow.
By adding a workflow to a content type, you can create document management solutions where workflows run on certain documents in a document library, while other documents in that same document library do not follow any workflows.
In essence, you would have a mixture of documents in one document library, some with and others without workflow enabled, and the ones with workflow enabled following entirely different workflows.
How to add a 3-state workflow to a content type
To add a three-state workflow to a content type, you must:
- Create a new site content type or use an existing one.
- Add a Choice column with 3 values on the content type or use an existing Choice column on the content type that has at least 3 options.
- On the Site Content Type page under Settings, click Workflow settings, and then follow steps 4 through 8 under section Add a three-state workflow to a document library in How to set up a three-state workflow on a SharePoint document library to add a three-state workflow to the content type.
About creating a new site content type
How to add a Choice column to a content type
To add a Choice column with 3 values to a content type:
- From the Site Actions menu, choose Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page under Galleries, click Site content types.
- On the Site Content Type Gallery page, click the content type you want to add the Choice column to.
- On the Site Content Type page under Columns, click Add from new site column.
- On the New Site Column page, type a Name for the column, for example State and select Choice (menu to choose from).
- Under Additional Column Settings, type in 3 options, each on a separate line, for example, New, Under Review, and Approved.
- Click OK.
- How to set up a three-state workflow on a SharePoint document library
- 3 Ways to create workflows for WSS 3.0 and Office SharePoint 2007
- SharePoint Designer workflow: Send email when major versions of a document are checked-in