How to create a SharePoint site column
Step-by-step instructions to create a new SharePoint site column, which you can then add to a SharePoint list or document library.
The scope of a site column, that is, the availability of a site column on SharePoint sites, depends on the SharePoint site you create the site column on.
The availability of a site column follows the site hierarchy in SharePoint, which means that a site column is available on a site and all sites beneath that site. A site column is not available on SharePoint sites above the site on which the site column is created.
To create a SharePoint site column:
- In SharePoint, determine the top-most site on which you want to create the site column, and go to that SharePoint site.
- On the Site Actions menu, click Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page under Galleries, click Site columns.
- On the Site Column Gallery page, click Create.
- On the New Site Column page, enter a Name and select a Type for the site column.
- On the New Site Column page, select Custom Columns from the Existing group drop-down list box.
- On the New Site Column page, select or enter any other information you require for the site column, and click OK.
The SharePoint site column is now ready to be added to SharePoint lists and document libraries on the SharePoint site on which you created the site column and all of its subsites.
- Understanding the basics of content types in SharePoint
- Defining document management metadata in SharePoint
- Design and create a document content type in SharePoint