How to add a version column to a SharePoint document library
Step-by-step instructions to add a version column to a SharePoint document library.
Introduction to versioning in SharePoint
Document management systems should allow for the tracking and maintaining of versions of documents. Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 and MOSS 2007 offer the possibility to maintain the history of the versions that each document goes through.
While it is not enabled by default, you can enable versioning on SharePoint document libraries, and once you do, you may want to display the number of the latest version of each document in a Version column of the SharePoint document library.
To display a Version column on a SharePoint document library, you must add the Version column to the View that the document library is using. By default, this is the All Documents view.
Figure 1. The All Documents view selected as the current view of a SharePoint document library.
Adding a Version column to a SharePoint document library
To add a Version column to a SharePoint document library:
- Go to the SharePoint document library to which you want to add a Version column.
- On the Settings menu, click Document Library Settings.
- On the Customize page under Views, click All Documents or the view to which you want to add a Version column.
- On the Edit View page under Columns, select the Display check box for the Version column, select a Position from Left for the column, and click OK.
Figure 2. Selecting to display the Version column on a SharePoint document library.
The SharePoint document library should now include a Version column as one of its columns.
- How to add a content type to a SharePoint document library
- How to create a SharePoint site column
- Create a lookup site column to a list in SharePoint 2010
- How to add a date difference column to a SharePoint list or library
- Understanding the basics of content types in SharePoint