Move a document to a SharePoint Records Center via a workflow
Learn how you can use a SharePoint Designer workflow to move a document from a SharePoint document library on one SharePoint site to a specific SharePoint document libary on a Records Center site in SharePoint 2013.
Once you have set up a Records Center in SharePoint 2013, you may want to automate the process of moving documents to the SharePoint Records Center. For this, you can make use of a SharePoint workflow.
The Send Document to Repository workflow action in SharePoint Designer 2013 allows you to specify a SharePoint Records Center to which a file must be copied, moved, or moved and leave a link.
Note that you do not have to configure a Send To connection in SharePoint Central Administration as in Manually move a document to a Records Center in SharePoint 2013 for this solution to work. The only requirement is that you must use the correct URL for the destination router (so one that has the extension /_vti_bin/officialfile.asmx) when you are setting up the workflow action.
Before you begin, ensure that you:
- Have gone through the steps to create a Records Center site in SharePoint 2013.
- Have created a content type for sending documents to the SharePoint Records Center.
Create a SharePoint workflow to move a document to a Records Center
- In SharePoint Designer 2013, create a new list workflow that runs on the SharePoint document library that contains the documents you want to move to the SharePoint Records Center. Ensure that you select SharePoint 2010 Workflow as the Platform Type.
- Add a Send Document to Repository action to the workflow, and configure it to say:
Submit File using Move to http://win-a5pj1269tfk/dmw/recordscen... with Some explanation (Output to Variable: submit file result)
where you must use the String Builder dialog box to set this destination router in the workflow action to be equal to the full URL of the officialfile.asmx web service for the SharePoint Records Center, for example:
Or if you have stored the URL in a workflow variable/parameter or in a field in a list or library, you could also perform a lookup to find that value and use it in the workflow action.
- Publish the workflow to SharePoint.
In SharePoint 2013, navigate to the SharePoint document library to which you associated the workflow and that contains a document you want to move. Manually start the workflow on a document you want to move.
Once the workflow has run and completed, navigate to the SharePoint Records Center and verify that the document has been stored in the appropriate SharePoint document library.
Create a custom action to move a document to a SharePoint Records Center via a workflow
To make it easier to start the workflow on a document, you could add a custom action to the SharePoint document library via SharePoint Designer as follows:
- In SharePoint Designer 2013, in the Navigation pane, click Lists and Libraries.
- On the List and Libraries page, click on the name of the SharePoint document library to which you want to add a custom action to start a SharePoint workflow.
- On the page for the SharePoint document library under Custom Actions, click New.
- On the Create Custom Action dialog box, enter a name for the custom action in the Name text box (for example ArchiveDoc), select the Initiate workflow option, select the name of the workflow that you created earlier from the drop-down list box, and then click OK.
In SharePoint 2013, you should now be able to see the custom action on the menu for a document and select it to run the workflow to move the document to the SharePoint Records Center.
To access a document's menu, click the ellipsis (...) button behind the document, click the ellipsis button on the context menu that appears, and then select the menu item from the drop-down menu that appears.
- SharePoint Designer workflow: Move a document from one library to another
- Move documents from one library to the next in SharePoint 2010 using Open with Explorer
- Create a content type for document routing to a Records Center
- Manually move a document to a Records Center in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint workflow to move a document to a folder