Create and start a SharePoint Designer 2013 site workflow
Learn how you can create a site workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013 and then start and run it in SharePoint 2013.
A site workflow is a workflow that is not bound to a particular SharePoint list or library, but that you can associate with and run on a particular SharePoint site.
You can use SharePoint Designer 2013 to create list workflows, reusable workflows, and site workflows.
Here, you will use SharePoint Designer 2013 to create a site workflow that can be used to write a simple text message to the workflow history list.
Before you begin, ensure you have gone through the tutorial to create a simple workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013, so that you know how to add actions to and publish a workflow.
To create a site workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013
- In SharePoint Designer 2013, open the site on which you want to create a site workflow.
- In the left Navigation pane, click Workflows.
- Click Workflows > New > Site Workflow.
- On the Create Site Workflow dialog box, type MySiteWF in the Name text box, select SharePoint 2013 Workflow from the Platform Type drop-down list box, and click OK.
- Add a Log to History List action to the workflow.
- Click this message in the sentence for the workflow action, and then type the text This is a message from the Site workflow. in the text box that appears.
- Add a Go to a stage action in the Transition to stage section of Stage 1, and then select to go to End of Workflow.
- Publish the workflow to SharePoint.
To start a site workflow in SharePoint 2013
- In SharePoint 2013, navigate to the site to which you published the workflow and click Site Contents.
- On the Site Contents page, click Site Workflows.
- On the Workflows page under Start a New Workflow, click the name of the site workflow you created earlier.
- Wait a couple of seconds, and then refresh the page. The site workflow should be listed in the My Running Workflows list.
- Wait a couple of minutes, and then refresh the page again. The site workflow should be listed in the My Completed Workflows list.
- Click the text Completed or Stage 1 to go to the history list for the workflow.
Still unclear? Watch the SharePoint 2013 video tutorial below.
- Create a simple SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow
- Create a SharePoint Designer 2013 reusable workflow
- Associate a SharePoint 2013 workflow with a document library
- Pass a value to a SharePoint Designer 2013 site workflow
- SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow to start another workflow