Manually move a document to a Records Center in SharePoint 2013
Learn how you can manually move a document to a Records Center in SharePoint 2013.
In a previous article you learned what a Records Center is in SharePoint 2013, and how you can create a SharePoint Records Center site.
After creating a SharePoint Records Center site, you can immediately start uploading documents to it.
However, if you want to manually send documents to the Records Center through the Send To command on a SharePoint document library, you must first configure a Send To connection for it in SharePoint Central Administration.
In the following example, you are going to first configure a Send To connection for a SharePoint Records Center site, and then use the Send To command of a SharePoint document library to move a document that is based on a particular content type to a specific SharePoint document library that is located on the SharePoint Records Center site.
Note that before you can send a document to a specific SharePoint document library on a SharePoint Records Center site, you must have enabled the document library to create documents that are based on the content type of the document you want to move, and you must have set up a content organizer rule to move documents that are based on that content type to the SharePoint document library.
Configure a Send To connection for a SharePoint Records Center
- In SharePoint Central Administration, click General Application Settings.
- On the General Application Settings page under External Service Connections, click Configure send to connections.
- On the Configure Send To Connections page, select the web application on which the Records Center site is located.
- Leave the Allow sites to send to connections outside their tenancy check box selected.
- Select New Connection in the Send To Connections list box.
- Type a display name for the connection in the Display name text box, for example SharePoint Records Center.
- Type the full URL of the SharePoint Records Center site (with an extension to call the officialfile web service) in the Send To URL text box, for example
where dmw is the parent site of a SharePoint Records Center site named recordscenter.
- Leave the Allow manual submission from the Send To menu check box selected.
- Select Move from the Send To action drop-down list box. You could also select Copy or Move and Leave a Link if you want one of those actions to be executed instead of moving a document.
- Type an explanation for the move in the Explanation text box.
- Click OK.
You should now be able to use this connection on a document library via SharePoint's user interface.
Manually move a document to a Records Center
- In SharePoint 2013, navigate to a SharePoint document library that contains a document you want to move to a SharePoint Records Center.
- Select the check mark in front of the document you want to move to the SharePoint Records Center, and then click Files > Copies > Send To on the Ribbon. A drop-down menu containing the Send To connection you created for the SharePoint Records Center should appear.
- Select SharePoint Records Center from the Send To drop-down menu command.
- Click OK on the message box that appears to confirm that you want to move the document to the SharePoint Records Center.
- An Operation Completed Successfully page with an OK button should appear. Click OK.
The document should now have disappeared from the SharePoint document library, and when you navigate to the SharePoint Records Center, you should be able to find the document in the SharePoint document library that you configured to receive documents that are based on the content type of the document you moved and that satisfies the content organizer rules you configured.
If you did not configure a SharePoint form library or any content organizer rules, you should be able to find the document you moved in the Drop Off Library document library.
- Create a SharePoint 2013 document library
- Create a Records Center site in SharePoint 2013
- Create a content type for document routing to a Records Center
- Move a document to a SharePoint Records Center via a workflowsite
- SharePoint workflow to move a document to a folder