Manually copy a document to a SharePoint document library folder
Learn how you can manually copy a document from one document library to a specific folder in another SharePoint document library on the same site or on a different site in the same SharePoint site collection.
In a previous article you learned how you can manually move a document to a particular folder in a SharePoint document library in a Records Center.
If you just want to copy a document from one SharePoint document library to a particular folder in another SharePoint document library that is located on the same site or on a different site in the same site collection, you can make use of the Send To command to do so.
And to make it easier for users to copy documents to the folder, you can expand the Send To command to contain an item users can select to copy a document to a specific SharePoint document library folder.
Create a SharePoint document library with a folder
Before you can send documents to a folder in a SharePoint document library, you must have a document library that contains a folder.
To create a SharePoint document library that contains a folder:
- In SharePoint 2013, create a new SharePoint document library and name it DocLibWithFolder.
- Navigate to the SharePoint document library you just created and click Files > New > New Folder.
- On the Create a new folder dialog, enter Folder1 in the Name text box, and click Save.
Now that you have a SharePoint document library with a folder, you can configure the Send To command for another SharePoint document library from which you want to copy documents to the Folder1 folder in the DocLibWithFolder document library.
Configure the Send To command for a SharePoint document library
- In SharePoint 2013, if you do not already have one, create another new SharePoint document library on the same site or on another site in the same site collection as where the DocLibWithFolder document library is located, and name it SendFromDocLib.
- Navigate to the SharePoint document library you just created and click Library > Settings > Library Settings.
- On the Settings page under General Settings, click Advanced settings.
- On the Advanced Settings page under Custom Send To Destination, enter a name in the Destination name text box (for example Folder1), enter the URL of the Folder1 folder in the DocLibWithFolder document library in the URL text box, for example:
where dmw is the SharePoint site on which the DocLibWithFolder document library is located.
- Click OK.
Now you can start copying documents from the SendFromDocLib document library to Folder1 in the DocLibWithFolder document library.
Manually copy a document to from a SharePoint document library to a folder
- In SharePoint 2013, navigate to the SendFromDocLib document library, and add a document to it if it does not contain any documents.
- Select the check mark in front of the document you want to copy to the folder in the other document library, and then click Files > Copies > Send To on the Ribbon. A drop-down menu containing the Send To connection you configured on the SendFromDocLib SharePoint document library should appear.
- Select Folder1 from the Send To drop-down menu command.
- On the Copy page, click OK.
- On the Copy Progress dialog box, click OK.
- Click Done.
Navigate to the DocLibWithFolder SharePoint document library and verify that the document you copied is present in the Folder1 folder.
- Create a SharePoint 2013 document library
- Create a Records Center site in SharePoint 2013
- Create a content type for document routing to a Records Center
- Move a document to a SharePoint Records Center via a workflow
- SharePoint workflow to move a document to a folder