Create a SharePoint 2013 document library
Learn what a document library is and how you can create a document library in SharePoint 2013.
A document library is a core component of document management in SharePoint.
While a SharePoint list is designed to store structured data, a document library is designed to store large items such as documents, videos, images, etc.
Before you try to create a SharePoint document library, you must ensure that you have the right permissions to do so.
This typically means that you must have at least Edit permission on the site on which you want to create the SharePoint document library.
How to create a SharePoint document library
- In SharePoint 2013, select Add an app from the Settings menu (the gear icon in the top-right corner), or click Site Contents in the Quick Launch menu and then on the Site Contents page, click add an app.
- On the Your Apps page, click Document Library.
- On the Adding Document Library dialog, do one of two things:
- Enter a name for the SharePoint document library in the Name text box, and then click Create; or
- Click Advanced Options, and then on the New page, enter a name and a description for the SharePoint document library, select whether document versioning should be enabled, select the document template that should be used by default to create documents in the SharePoint document library, and then click Create.
Note that while you can use the New page to specify more settings for the SharePoint document library that should be created, you can configure these settings later through the Settings page for the SharePoint document library.
To access the Settings page for the SharePoint document library, navigate to the SharePoint document library you just created, and then click Library > Settings > Library Settings on the Ribbon.
What to do after creating a SharePoint document library
Once you have created a SharePoint document library, you can immediately start to store documents in it by either creating new documents or uploading documents to the new SharePoint document library.
However, if you want to define document types and metadata for document management in SharePoint, the next step would be to add columns to the SharePoint document library or add one or more content types to the SharePoint document library.
- SharePoint 2013 Relevant Documents web part
- SharePoint 2013 Document Center site
- Associate a SharePoint 2013 workflow with a document library
- Creating and deleting SharePoint 2013 content types
- Create a Records Center site in SharePoint 2013